Department of Education, Carnegie library
DoE, Carnegie library
Our Slim-Glaze range was used in this restoration project in Blackrock. The oldest of the three Victorian structures is the central one built as a town hall in the mid-1800s when Blackrock was a separate borough. The late 1800s fire station followed and then the 1905 Carnegie library. They had been out of use for many years when the Department of Education made a deal with Dún Laoghaire Rathdown council to take on the buildings, restore them as a college and a new and bigger library.The building won the Irish Georgian Society Conservation award (jointly with Derry Guildhall), recognising that to reawaken the old it can be necessary to shift things about and inject the present day while also cherishing the old parts. Using our 12mm thick Slim Double glazing ensured that this listed building maintained it’s orginal look but also has the very best in thermal efficiency when it comes to heat loss, with our low sight-line , krypton gas filled double glazing being only the same diameter of a biro pen but yet providing low U-values to achieve the part L – building regulations.